He said the defendant was suffering from psychosis that caused hallucinations and loss of contact with reality, but “does not interfere with Lane’s ability to understand the charges against him.” Judge Grendell determined at this hearing that Lane was competent to stand trial. Another friend said that Lane was regularly teased at school, which made Lane “put a wall around himself” and refuse to divulge personal information. The three inmates escaped using a makeshift ladder to scale a fence during recreation hours. After the hearing, prosecutor David Joyce indicated that he would attempt to try Lane as an adult and file three counts of aggravated murder, among other charges, for the incident. A nearby forest, which neighbors said the Lane children used for target practice, was also combed. According to Melanie Jones, writing for International Business Times, reports on the possibility of Lane’s involvement led to great press interest, which the police initially deflected. A second concern regarded Joyce’s statement at the conference that Lane “is someone who’s not well.” Ian Friedman, a criminal attorney and past president of the Ohio Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers said that such things are generally said by defense attorneys. According to Ohio law, “a child may be found competent only if able to grasp the seriousness of the charges, if able to understand the court proceedings, if able to aid in the defense and if able to understand potential consequences. The table was covered with flowers and stuffed animals. They described him as friendly and nice, but not very talkative. I hope you'll find our website interesting and don't forget to comment and share. The Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence called the Chardon shooting “the deadliest high-school shooting in the U.S. since 2005”. At 12:42 a.m. the next day, a second student, Russell King, Jr., 17, was pronounced brain dead at MetroHealth Medical Center. Investigators have said he admitted to the shooting but said he didn't know why he did it. Classes resumed the next day. One lawyer explained that this exception to the order gave the prosecution the opportunity to announce the defendant’s confession publicly, thus influencing the jury pool. Dina Parmertor, Daniel Parmertor’s mother, reacted to the escape, saying, “I’m disgusted that it happened. At noon on February 27, 2012, Chardon Police Chief Tim McKenna announced in a news conference that one of the victims had died. This was the lowest number of such deaths since the 2002–03 school year, the highest being the 2006–07 school year, in which there were 66 deaths from school violence. In the evening of the day following the attack, thousands of people attended a vigil at St. Mary’s Catholic Church in Chardon, where a funeral mass was scheduled for victim Daniel Parmertor, to take place the following weekend. The other case involved Lane hitting another boy in the face. After Lane’s arrest, law enforcement determined that the gun used in the shooting was purchased legally. At 7:38 p.m on September 11, 2014, Lane escaped from Allen Correctional Institution in Lima, Ohio, along with two other inmates. Walczak’s family credits Ricci with saving his life. We were running a little late, but we weren’t late enough. The cafeteria, where the shooting took place, was repainted and reorganized. His family issued a statement requesting that their privacy be respected. (AP Photo/The News-Herald, Duncan Scott, Pool). He was enrolled at both Chardon High School and at the Auburn Career Center. Three male students died within two days following the incident. His bail was set at $1 million, and he was scheduled to be transferred from the juvenile detention center to county jail on June 18. After the shooting occurred, Lane reportedly left the building. In June 2012, it was determined that Lane would be tried as an adult. The senior class officers organized a procession from Chardon Square to the school that morning. The United Way set up The Chardon Healing Fund to help those traumatized by the shooting. As he fled, Lane shot a female student, and was then chased out of the school by a teacher, football coach Frank Hall. Although police were initially hesitant to publicly identify the juvenile after he was apprehended, by the evening of February 28, authorities confirmed that the suspect was Lane. It was speculated by one observing attorney that the judge might have made the decision himself. Analysis of the crime and comparisons to similar attacks began immediately following the shooting. On February 26, 2013, Lane pleaded guilty to the charges for which he had been indicted. The authorities searched the home of the suspect’s paternal grandparents in Chardon Township. PHOTOS: CHARDON HIGH SCHOOL SHOOTING (Story Continues Below) PHOTO GALLERY. In response, Chardon resident Alex Pavlick sent out a request on Facebook for people to join him in forming a barricade around St. Mary’s Church, where the funeral was to be held on March 3, if the WBC showed up to protest. They told reporters that Lane had taken up weightlifting with the intention of fighting King. A friend of Lane described him as “just a very normal teenage boy”. As on February 28, people in attendance wore red. At an initial court hearing, the prosecutor revealed that he admitted to shooting 10 rounds of ammunition from the gun during the shooting, which began in the school cafeteria at approximately 7:30 a.m., shortly after school began. He was also shot in the arm, neck and back. Below are some photos from his Facebook page, including a … My name is Fredrik and I'm the owner of Crime Scene Database. On March 2, 2012, the students entering the building received a warm welcoming. He also told the police that he did not know the victims and that they were selected randomly. Judge Timothy J. Grendell began the proceeding by asking the media not to take photographs of the defendant until it was determined whether or not he would be tried as an adult.